[etherlab-users] I'd like to ask a couple of questions about IgH ethercat master and AKD

Dusty Clark springender at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 20:31:16 CET 2015

Sebastien, Xinhua,

I have used AKD drives sucessfully in a telescope drive project, basing the
code in part on Sebastien's example. In that project, the motor is run in
velocity mode with a custom PID wrapped around it to form a cascaded
position-velocity loop, where the position loop is closed by reading an
absolute tape encoder on-axis.

To move the motor, you indeed need to use the DS402 state machine command
once you have the PDOs set up the way you want. The DS402 communications
are described in the Kollmorgen manual, available as a pdf here:
http://www.kollmorgen.com/zu-za/products/drives/servo/akd/_manuals/kollmorgen-akd-canopen-communications-manual-en-rev-n-fw-1-13/

Armed with the EtherCAT manual from Kollmorgen and the CANOpen manual, you
can determine the PDO mapping and what you have to write/read to put the
drive in motion. In my case, I created a state machine that walked the
drive into operational mode based on flags from the operator, and if a
limit or emergency stop condition is detected, the AKD firmware will put
the drive in a switched-off state that likewise needs to be handled by the
operation-control state machine (mainly by detecting the change in drive
state and restarting the motion-request sequence)...of course in an
emergency stop condition, you will want your users to check things out and
clear any unsafe conditions before attempting a restart, which your
application code can implement, of course.

Regards,

Dusty Clark
Naeglin Rim Services, LLC