[etherlab-users] stuck on "waiting for devices" with e1000e drivers

pluecking at cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de pluecking at cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Nov 11 14:53:18 CET 2016

Hello everyone,

we want to get ethercat running with a Intel I210 (e1000e) pci express
card. The mainboard provides a Realtek 8168 Ethernet Controller. With
this one, we get ethercat up and running without problems. Sadly, we
suspect some problems with the realtek ethernet adapter due to irregular
system crashes when running a realtime system.
Our solution was to install the intel ethernet adapter.

We clone the mercurial repository and compile the software with

    ./configure --with-rtai-dir=xxx --prefix=xxx --disable-8139too
    --enable-e1000e

the kernel is detected automatically (we use a custom linux 3.14-rt
patched) and the compile and install process works just fine. We add the
necessary config parameters in

    /etc/sysconfig/ethercat

And the device is found. Now, when we start the ethercat service,
ethercat as printed when typing "ethercat master" is stuck in the phase
"Waiting for device(s)..."
The mac address is correct and listed in "main" but with a (waiting...)
behind it.

It seems like the ethernet device handling is not removed from the
system as it is still listed as an "UP RUNNING" device, e.g. when typing
"ifconfig". When using the r8168, everything works perfectly. The kernel
is compiled with "Intel(R) PRO/1000 PCI-Express Gigabit Ethernet
support" as a module, not built-in.

Anyone got any idea what we are missing here?

Best,
Phil