[etherlab-users] RV: AX5000 fault synchronism

Gavin Lambert gavin.lambert at tomra.com
Fri Nov 1 01:31:41 CET 2019

I'm not talking about the AX4000.  I'm talking about a different slave which does work happily with SYNC0 and SYNC1 occurring simultaneously.  (Though it too is expecting one SYNC1 pulse per SM packet.)

With the specific parameters 250000, 5000, 750000, 0; what (conceptually) happens is this:

1. time 5000       : SYNC0 #1  (we assume the zero time is the DC start base for the network; YMMV)
2. time 255000   : SYNC0 #2
3. time 505000   : SYNC0 #3
4. time 755000   : SYNC0 #4 and SYNC1 #1
5. time 1005000 : SYNC0 #5
6. time 1255000 : SYNC0 #6
7. time 1505000 : SYNC0 #7
8. time 1755000 : SYNC0 #8 and SYNC1 #2

With the parameters 250000, 5000, 750000, 50000; the result would be more like:

1. time 5000         : SYNC0 #1
2. time 255000     : SYNC0 #2
3. time 505000     : SYNC0 #3
4. time 755000     : SYNC0 #4
5. time 805000     :                     SYNC1 #1
6. time 1005000   : SYNC0 #5
7. time 1255000   : SYNC0 #6
8. time 1505000   : SYNC0 #7
9. time 1755000   : SYNC0 #8
10. time 1805000 :                    SYNC1 #2

Negative shifts are also possible, for example 250000, 5000, 1000000, -50000 would do:

1. time 5000         : SYNC0 #1
2. time 255000     : SYNC0 #2
3. time 505000     : SYNC0 #3
4. time 755000     : SYNC0 #4
5. time 955000     :                     SYNC1 #1
6. time 1005000   : SYNC0 #5
7. time 1255000   : SYNC0 #6
8. time 1505000   : SYNC0 #7
9. time 1755000   : SYNC0 #8
10. time 1955000 :                    SYNC1 #2
11. time 2005000 : SYNC0 #9
Note that the SYNC0 pulse timing is the same but we've moved SYNC1 so it happens 50µs before the next SYNC0 pulse instead of 50µs after the previous one.  (This also made the sync1 cycle time parameter look like its actual cycle time.)

What values are needed for each slave should be given in the slave's documentation -- they're all different, depending on what actions the slave performs on each SYNC event, and whether it needs some time allowance for capturing or processing delays.  And, of course, what SM cycle time you want to use.

But yes, essentially the "sync1 cycle time register" is the delay between the first SYNC0 and the first SYNC1.  Depending both on the dividend and the modulo of this vs. the SYNC0 cycle time it creates the pulse trains for both, but the numbers can be quite confusing at first glance.  The diagram from the ESC datasheets demonstrates this; you can also read more detail about it in ETG1020 "Synchronization", in particular the part about "subordinated µC cycles".  (Although parts of that might end up being more confusing than helpful.)

A simple rule of thumb (demonstrated above) is that if your sync1_shift is not negative then the sync1_cycle needs to be one sync0_cycle less than you think it "ought" to be, but if the sync1_shift is negative then you can set sync1_cycle to the "real" value.

Although I did misspeak a bit earlier.  The sync0 shift is not directly passed to the slave; it's used to calculate a value for the "Start Time Cyclic Operation" register (which is analogous to sync0 shift, but not quite identical) based on when the master is intending to send the first SM packet.

(I've never been entirely clear on the relative shift between the SM packet and the SYNC0 since it hasn't mattered for my slaves, but I *think* the expectation in all of the above is that the SM packet arrives at around time 0, 1000000, etc, allowing for master jitter.  So you may need to configure the sync0_shift and/or sync1_shift based on your maximum jitter.)

Gavin Lambert
Senior Software Developer

COMPAC SORTING EQUIPMENT LTD | 4 Henderson Pl | Onehunga | Auckland 1061 | New Zealand
Switchboard: +49 2630 96520 | https://www.tomra.com

The information contained in this communication and any attachment is confidential and may be legally privileged. It should only be read by the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the communication.