[Etherlab-users] Best filesystem for DLS?

Dr.-Ing. Wilhelm Hagemeister hm at igh.de
Wed Mar 24 15:41:19 CET 2021

Hallo Sebastien,

Am 24.03.21 um 15:04 schrieb Sebastien BLANCHET:
> Dear Wilhelm,
>
> You are right, there was a configuration error in job.xml the block size
> was only 10. I have increased it to 2000 to get fewer files.

that is not really a configuration error. It is the default value ;-)
depending on your sample frequency giving you a latency of 10 seconds.

A blocksize of 2000 for 1Hz means that new blocks get written only every
approx half an hour (2000 s). So you only are able to see new data (in
dlsgui) after this time. If that is to much latency, reduce the
blocksize to 60 e.g.

Anyway greater blocksizes result in better compression and less overhead.

Increasing "Reduction" has more impact on file count, because it
influences the creation of "meta levels". Doubling that value (default
30) should be no problem.

DLS is definitely the right tool to store hugh amount of data over a
long period, but to be honest we never had jobs with 20k signals up
until now.

It would be much appreciated if you later could share your experience
with other filesystems.

Regards

Wilhelm Hagemeister