[etherlab-users] Failed to calculate bus topology

Steven Hartmann shartmann at militho.com
Wed Mar 21 22:08:25 CET 2012

Hi all,

I¹m just getting started with the etherlab master stack, and really ethercat
in general, so please excuse my ignorance.  So far I have read the
documentation I have found (ethercat-1.5-***.pdf) as well was the readme and
install files, then I followed the directions to get the driver installed.
I also cobbled together some beckhoff ethercat modules including an EK1101,
3 EL2024s, and an EL2612 as well as an EL9010 terminator.  I got everything
startup up and an able to use the command line tool to do a few queries to
find that it sees all the slices properly and can change the operational
state.  One thing is bothering me so far:  when I first plug in the ethercat
modules I get the following output in dmesg:

EtherCAT 0: Link state changed to UP.
EtherCAT 0: 6 slave(s) responding.
EtherCAT 0: Slave states: INIT.
EtherCAT 0: Scanning bus.
EtherCAT 0: Bus scanning completed in 440 ms.
EtherCAT ERROR 0: Failed to calculate bus topology.
EtherCAT 0: Slave states: PREOP.

I don¹t understand what the ³Failed to calculate but topology² message
means, nor what I need to do to avoid it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve