[etherlab-users] e1000e driver and kernel 3.2.31-rt47

Gavin Lambert gavinl at compacsort.com
Thu Oct 25 00:53:50 CEST 2012

Quoth Matthias Liermann:
> if you applied the changes correctly, the e1000e driver, which is
> currently in the 3.2 kernel repository is not the same as the one which
> was used for the previous patching.

Correct, they are different.  I suspect that the one in the etherlab repository was from 3.2.0, while I'm trying to use the one from 3.2.31.  The differences are fairly minor, though, and even the original etherlab driver does not seem to work properly.

> Although I would suggest to use the one provided by intel, which
> should work on any kernel. Why wasn't this done before?

I can use the in-kernel e1000e driver along with the "generic" EC driver; this works fine as far as low-speed bus scans etc.  I haven't evaluated it for high-speed cyclic performance yet, although I would presume that it would be lower, or why would there be a custom EC driver to begin with?