[etherlab-users] Redundancy support

Richard Hacker ha at igh.de
Fri Feb 27 10:06:09 CET 2015

In principle it should work, although I have not tested it. The trick
with redundancy is, that the number of visible slaves and the order of
packet traversal must not change when a single link is destroyed.

You are quite correct in the assumption that redundancy is transparent
to the application. The status is only required to report a redundant
state or not, otherwise redundancy would be useless to the user. The
state is not required by the application to select another
source/destination of data.

- Richard

PS. I just love your ascii art ;) Monospace font, yeah!

On 27.02.2015 05:28, Gavin Lambert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding support for cable redundancy in the stable-1.5
> branch.
>
> I know that it has options for enabling a "backup" network port on the PC
> and connecting the end of a single chain to this port.  Presumably this is
> mostly transparent to the application code (although it can query for
> status)?
>
> Does it also support redundant tree links similarly?
>
> Eg. PC ---- SL1 --- SL2 --- SW --- SL3 --- SL4 -+
>       |                      | |                 |
>       |             +- SL5 --+ +-- SL8 -+        |
>       |             |                   |        |
>       |             +- SL6 ------- SL7 -+        |
>       +------------------------------------------+
>
> I know I've seen a diagram like this with an internal ring on a tree branch
> somewhere, although I'm having trouble locating the reference now.  Maybe
> this is a feature of the switch slave rather than of the master?
>
> Regards,
> Gavin Lambert

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Richard Hacker

Richard Hacker M.Sc.
richard.hacker at igh-essen.com
Tel.: +49 201 / 36014-16

Ingenieurgemeinschaft IgH
Gesellschaft für Ingenieurleistungen mbH
Heinz-Bäcker-Str. 34
D-45356 Essen

Amtsgericht Essen HRB 11500
USt-Id.-Nr.: DE 174 626 722