[etherlab-users] problem with ethercat xml

Graeme Foot Graeme.Foot at touchcut.com
Mon Aug 28 00:54:34 CEST 2017

I've attached the output from some of the ethercat commands from my amp.  Note, my slave is configured to alias 12, so the -a12 just filters to only show information for the yaskawa amp.

Prior to starting the app:

(see attached: Before running app.txt)

On power up, the struct command shows the amps default PDO configuration.  In my case it shows:

0x6040 : control word

0x607a : target position

0x6041 : status word

0x6064 : actual position

The xml command reflects the same information.

After starting the app:

(see attached: After running app.txt)

After running the app the struct command now shows my selected PDO configuration.  The xml command also now reflects this information.

In "Before running app.txt" I also sent the ethercat slaves –v command (–v = verbose, gives more information about the slave(s)).  Under the COE details section you can see that both "Enable PDO Assign" and "Enable PDO Configuration" are yes.  This means you can choose to use a different PDO configuration from the default.

Re your question: I was getting you to run the struct command to see if there was any default configuration in there for your amp.  You can use this configuration (as per mine above) as a starting point for simple amp operation, setting some of the configuration parameters via SDO's.  I wanted more functionality than the default configuration so have changed my PDO configuration to suit.

Since you do not have any PDO's configured by default, it means you are either (1) running the command after the amp is being configured (and failing); or (2) the failed configuration has been saved to the EEPROM at some stage; or (3) it doesn't have any default PDO configuration.

If its case #2 then you can try resetting the amp back to its default parameters with the command (replacing –a12 with your appropriate slave alias or position information):

ethercat download –a12 0x1011 0x01 0x64616F6C

The 0x1011:01 parameter is "Restore all default parameters".  The 0x64616F6C value is a special value to ensure you don't call it by mistake.  This value actually represents the bytes for the ASCII characters "load" (where l is the LSB).  You will then need to repower the amp.

I have also attached the dmesg commands and output of what I would expect to happen as the app configures the amp.  It may help you pin down where it starts to deviate.

Also check that the amp can be configured and run in TwinCAT.  You can download a copy of TwinCAT and run in trial mode for a month or so (TwinCAT 2 might be easier than TwinCAT 3?).  If it does work then you might be able to see if there's any special configuration options required for you amp.

Beyond that, if you can confirm everything else in your app is working, you can contact Yaskawa support.  They won't help you with anything beyond that amp, but can be very helpful with setting up the amp.

Regards,

Graeme.